Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Visit to the Women's Union in Abu Dhabi

Ok, so I'm going to share my experience where I left off.  My friends Sarah and Maila and I visited the Womens Union, a place where they have a museum of sorts, and actual locals who come and continue with the traditional arts and crafts that have been done for hundreds of years.  We went on a beautiful day and really were in awe of the painstaking effort and time many of the items require.  I will share some pictures as well.


The Women Union sign

My dear friends Sarah and Maila (we do everything together still)! 

Sarah and me

Maila and me - I can't believe how short my hair was!



Different crafts they make

Beautiful handmade baskets



The actual looms they work on and some of the finished products!


One of my favorite very intricate weavings


This is what the inside of a traditional bedouin tent would look like.  We actually have the very same seating in our two Arabic workrooms.  Many a time I have laid down on them when nobody was in there to take a power nap or when I was sick.  VERY comfortable!  The last pic is a very old traditional tea set.  They still use them as you will see later on, except the tea sets are super luxurious!

So these next pictures are models of what the actual activity would look like.  There are some older women here (which by the way you rarely see older people) who still wear the steal thing over faces.  It is very scary to me and reminds me of Hannible Lector!!!!!






So, the boy is a depiction of a pearl diver, as that was very common here.  They would tie themselves to a rope, get the shells, come back to the boat, pass out, wake up and go again...doesn't sound like fun to me!  The last pic is of women getting henna.  I love it!  I got it for Jessica's wedding and it's very traditional here to do it for special occasions.

So, of course I had to act silly.  This is what the MEN wear on their heads, in different styles according to what's in fassion.

So, I hope you enjoyed the pictures from our visit to the Women Union.  Gotta go now, will do more tomorrow!!


8 comments:

  1. Susan, thanks for sharing! I love all the pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing you in July!
    Love ya,
    ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sister! I love your blog and gave you the "One Lovely Blog Award". Just go to my blog to accept it. :)

    ~ Lisa
    Teaching Kindergarten Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog and am now a follower. I am giving you an award. Please hop over to my blog to pick it up. I'd love for you to become a follower as well, if you would like.
    Amy
    <a
    href="http://www.adventuresinteaching.net> Adventures In Teaching </a>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I'm so jealous you got some amazing things :) I love the way that you exposed all the impotent things ...
    Visit Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a way to email you? I'm considering teaching in AD and would like to ask you some questions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went on a beautiful day and really were in awe of the painstaking effort and time many of the items require. I will share some pictures as well.

    Al Reem Island

    ReplyDelete